Define a 2D Mask applicable on any 2D Renderer or 2D Modifier2D masks can be applied on any 2D Modifier to modulate its application on a per-pixel basis. Traditional alpha-masking is obtained as a particular case of this, by using the modifier Mask.
Select Placement mask for example.
- This mask has 2D Placementthat can be changed (green circle) to get more advanced shapes.
- It also got Feather parameters that are illustrated here. You can change the feather link in order to manage the feather of each side of the mask independently (red circle).
- The feather exponent allow you to change the mask feather curve. This will be particularly effective when a mask is applied over Distort Modifiers.
- You can also change it's scale mode (blue rectangle) in order to give it a value relative to the medias on which it is applied (scale factor) or absolute (size):
Note that two different elements are created:
In this example, Mask designates the 2D modifier and Placement mask designates the mask that is applied to this modifier.
Masks can also be grouped with a 2D Group mask.
Note that, to build the example above faster, it is also possible to use [CTRL] + [D] to duplicate masks.
As an example, consider 2D Transform. In itself, this effect is nice but rather bounded. In combination with masks, the number of possible geometric distortions becomes very large. Here is a small sample of the kind of things you can obtain:
Scale transform with radial mask
Position transform with placement mask
Checkerboard transformed with the Mona Lisa picture as a Mask
With noise mask
With Polygonal Mask
With quantized noise mask
Watch directly on youtube
PARAMETERS ON ALL 2D TEXTUREMASKS
- Opacity Overall opacity of the 2d texturemask
- Inverse Enable this option to invert the 2d texturemask
Masks that are placed in 2D space:
Linear mask - Mask defined through a linear fade along a segment
Radial mask - Mask defined through an ellipse
Polygonal mask - Define a 2D mask with a polygonal selection
Gradient mask - Gradient Mask
Masks that depend on pixel attributes:
Color mask - Select each pixel depending on its color
Depth mask - Select each pixel depending on a associated depth-value
Layer mask - Turn any 2D generator into a mask
2D Group mask - Blend multiple 2d masks together
Position in Shape - Define how the modifier is applied